What’s going on?
· Work is progressing in the basement of the tower and the demolition contractors are now starting to strip out the area for the mechanical plant for the new lifts and the service risers
· Library staff have continued the work to clear the basement and to ensure the contractors have a clear area to work in and to make sure the book stock is protected. The microfilms which were housed in the basement will be moved to the Hull History Centre and until further notice will be available through Document Supply at no charge
· The ground floor of the south wing is being painted and as soon as a shelving company is appointed the order for the decant shelving will be placed. The decoration in this area will be minimal as the space will be fully refurbished once the decant area is no longer required. It is expected that this area will be ready in mid March when the move of stock will start from the 3rd and 4th floors.
· Work will start on Monday 28 January to erect hoardings and scaffolding around the staircase adjacent to the lifts which leads to the first floor. Demolition of the staircase will commence on Monday 4 February and will be done out of hours as the work will be very noisy
· Follow the redevelopment on twitter @HullUni_Library #bjlredevelopment
When’s it happening?
· Demolition work has already started in the basement
· The microfilms will be moved to the Hull History Centre on Monday 28 January
· Work to demolish the staircase to the first floor will commence on Monday 28 January